(WSIL) -- The Shawnee National Forest has indefinitely closed developed campgrounds and restrooms.
In a statement Tuesday, the forest service said the closures were for the "health and safety of visitors and staff."
"As we work through an unpredictable and rapidly changing situation, health and safety is our number one priority. We are committed to continuing to support our communities and fulfill our mission as we all work together to minimize the impacts and spread of COVID-19."
The closed sites are:
Mississippi Bluffs Ranger District
- Johnson Creek Campground, Jackson County
- Pine Hills Campground, Union County
Hidden Springs Ranger District
– Camp Cadiz Campground, Hardin County
– Pharaoh Campground at Garden of the Gods, Saline County
– Pine Ridge Campground at Pounds Hollow, Gallatin County
– Tower Rock Campground, Hardin County
The Shawnee National Forest is also closing offices.
Customers needing information, permits and maps are encouraged to call (618) 253-7114 or 1-800-My-Woods during regular business hours for customer service.