Skip to Content

Students, staff safe after lockdown at Murray High School

murray high school kentucky

UPDATE: Monday, January 15, 2021, 4:39 p.m.

MURRAY, Ky. (WSIL) -- Parents say they're relieved to hear their students are safe following a lockdown at Murray High School.

Murray resident Beth Podrovitz was running errands in town when her sister texted her about the lockdown. Podrovitz arrived at the school to pick up her student.

Podrovitz said the lockdown brought back painful memories of the 2018 Marshall County High School shooting.

"I remember the shootings at Heath as well many years ago," Podrovitz said. "It's just scary to think about that."

The lockdown came two days after the third anniversary of the shooting at Marshall County High School. Podrovitz communicated with her son while the lockdown was happening.

Marshall County resident Chad Alderman says he was at home when his wife called to tell him about the lockdown.

He drove about a half hour to the school and waited in line along with dozens of other cars filled with worried parents.

"[It's] pretty scary. Wondering what was going on," Alderman said. "When you start hearing stuff like that , you don't ever know what's going on."

Podrovitz, along with Superintendent Coy Sammons, praised police and staff for their response to the lockdown.

The investigation is ongoing.

UPDATE: Monday, January 25 2021, 3:20 p.m.

MURRAY, Ky (WSIL) -- The Murray Police Department is releasing more information on the Murray High School lockdown.

Police say they received a report of someone hearing a gunshot just before 9 a.m.

Murray Police Officers and deputies from the Calloway County Sheriff’s Office, Kentucky State Police, and the Murray State University Police Department responded to the high school and cleared the entire campus.

While clearing the buildings, no evidence of a gunshot was located.

The investigation is ongoing.

UPDATE: Monday, January 25, 2021 11:30 a.m.

MURRAY, Ky. (WSIL) -- Some Murray High School students ended their day early following a lockdown Monday morning.

Superintendent Coy Sammons says the school instructed students and staff to go on lockdown just after 8:50 a.m. Sammons tells News 3 that police informed him a threat made to the high school prior to the lockdown.

Multiple police units arrived to the school within minutes, Sammons said. The lockdown ended just after 10 a.m. and students were allowed to stay or call parents to pick them up.

Sammons added that there were no gunshots fired inside the school.

Stay with News 3 for updates.


MURRAY, Ky (WSIL) -- All students and staff are reportedly safe after the Murray High School went on lockdown Monday morning.

The Murray Independent School District said the school lifted its lockdown around 10:30 a.m.

The district said there is no active situation.

Stay with News 3 for updates.

Author Profile Photo

News 3

Skip to content