Skip to Content

US warns against travel to 80% of world due to coronavirus

travel advisory coronavirus

WASHINGTON (AP) — The State Department is urging Americans not to travel overseas because of the risks from the coronavirus pandemic.

The U.S. hasn’t had a global warning against international travel since August, when guidance was revoked by the Trump administration.

The department said Monday that a revaluation of travel advice for countries around the world would result in about 80% of them being classified as “Level 4” or “do not travel.” Travel is also discouraged for the remaining 20%, though not as emphatically.

The department says it will begin to be roll out new advice for specific countries over the coming week.

Coronavirus Resources

  • Want to see how many vaccines have been administered in your county? Check out our exclusive COVID-19 Tracker.
  • Are you fully vaccinated? Click here for guidance from the CDC.
  • Click here for the latest information from the Illinois Department of Public Health.
  • Looking for local information on the COVID-19 vaccine? Click here.
  • Click here for News 3 WSIL's latest coronavirus coverage.
Author Profile Photo

Associated Press

Skip to content